Have you read the community rules?
http://community.profitableorganizer.com/discussion/41/community-rules-guidelines
Please take a minute to browse through them. Our pet peeves are rules #2 and #7. Thanks!

A small closet and clothes

Vicki KaminskyVicki Kaminsky Enrolled Posts: 32
I am going to organize my first closet for a client in a couple of days.
I know that you purge first but when you are organizing a small closet of mostly clothes do you purge and then sort what you are keeping into piles and then put them back into the closet color codes, etc?

Comments

• Cynthia MurrayCynthia Murray Administrator, Enrolled Posts: 937
    If it's a smaller closet, it should be easy to take things out in sections, lay them on the bed and go through each piece, the you can start hanging back the items the client wants to keep into categories in the closet. Once all the purging has taken place, you can fine tune everything.
  • Vicki KaminskyVicki Kaminsky Enrolled Posts: 32
    After my consultation I gave her a homework assignment before I come back to organize and told her to try everything on to see if she is going to keep it based on certain criteria, because she kept saying "Oh I don't wear any of these anymore." Then I told her just to put all of items in donation boxes so it would be easier for her to remove. I had her buy the Joy brand hangers for my next visit but here is my question:
    Do you take out the section and then put the section back on the new hangers or is it better to hang everything back and do the hanger swap last of all of the areas? I am probably over thinking this one?
    Thanks!
  • Amanda McCrearyAmanda McCreary Enrolled Posts: 46
    Definitely only do the hanger once; when putting the item back in the closet, put in on the new hanger then. Also, if she has any "maybes", put the hanger on the rod facing backwards. Tell her that if she wears one of those items, to then hang it back in the closet normally. Have her mark a date (3 mos, 6 mos whatever she thinks she needs) on her calendar to donate any items with hangers still facing backwards at that time.
  • Vicki KaminskyVicki Kaminsky Enrolled Posts: 32
    It actually went great. She was able to purge with no problems. She put each piece she wanted to keep on the new hanger, which I felt made her more committed to the task. She put the maybe items in her sons closet and agreed after 6 months if she did not wear the item she would donate it. The homework purge assignment that she did without me helped reduce the time we had to purge together so I would recommend that if the person seems like they can complete this task.
    Her note she sent me said " Love my closet-don't want to use it now!"
    I feel much more confident now.
    Thanks
  • Cynthia MurrayCynthia Murray Administrator, Enrolled Posts: 937
    @Vicki Kaminsky , that's great to hear! And that's a good idea to keep her "maybe" clothes in her son's closet, b/c she'd really have to make the effort to go get them or think about them. Glad things are going well and it sounds like the client is ecstatic!