Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you read the community rules?
http://community.profitableorganizer.com/discussion/41/community-rules-guidelines
Please take a minute to browse through them. Our pet peeves are rules #2 and #7. Thanks!

Baby Proofing

Hi fellow PO's. This is my second paid job, I am pretty excited. Haven't finished PO training, no website up and I don't feel 100% confident and ready yet, but I am going for it!! I've been asked to organize a large cluttered living room to a couple with a 9month old baby girl. I saw the living room and they pretty much live in it with gates blocking out their little dogs and makeshift changing table on a buffet table against a sliding glass door, ugh. They have now asked if I can baby proof the living room which also happens to be open to their big kitchen (cabinets, drawers, cleaning supplies etc., you see where I am going with this....). I have given them recommendations on what to order (they want to do the ordering): outlet plugs, corner protectors etc. I also provided them with a list, off the internet, of baby proofing items. My husband and I just had a conversation about liability. I am not a professional baby proofer. Should I be concerned about liability? Also, they are not opposed to me moving things around and I am dead set on them creating a better, safer changing table area for their baby, but how far do you go before you get approval from your clients? Mr. will be home in the other room during the day and Mrs. works outside full time. She has asked that I only interrupt him for 5 min. every hour (est. 4-5 hours). I will do my best organizing the obvious, but not sure about the baby proofing and to what end I move things around without input. He does not like to be bothered with tedious stuff. Any input would be appreciated!! Thank you!

Comments

• Cynthia MurrayCynthia Murray Enrolled Posts: 1,070
    Hi Laura! I'm not sure what the buffet table looks like or how wide it is, etc. but solo changing tables aren't that big either. After a while, they might start using a portable changing pad that's vinyl and folds out (that you'd use for travel) on the sofa or floor. That's great they're open to another, safer idea for the changing table though. If they're open to you changing things around, go ahead. If they really don't like the way something is after trying it out for a couple days, it can be moved back. Take this as an opportunity to take charge, use your organizing skills and knowledge, and go for it.

Good idea on printing out the Child Proofing list for the clients. If it makes you feel better, print out a couple sentence statement saying something like, "Here is a list of baby proofing ideas that can help with the safety of your child. I am not a professional baby proofer, nor hold any responsibility for the setup or use or misuse of these." Then, underneath, have the list you already found just to complete the document. Have you and the client sign and date at the bottom.
  • Thanks Cynthia for your response. I have used forms from, I believe, one of your webinars made some adjustments I felt necessary and put my business name at the top: eg:Consulting Services Agreement, Working Agreement, Photo Consent Form and Liability Waiver. I am not working on this specific house until 7/12 and as I said previously I stopped by their home, because they are close by for a quick consultation and to give them estimate of time. Should I email them these forms in advance as Mrs. will not be there day of and husband not to be bothered... (do you usually have them sign in person?) OR mail to them and ask them to send it back signed before 7/12? I would like to eventually have these forms available to share with clients on Google Docs so to be paperless...but for now I need to take care of this best I can.
    Also, you have a great recommendation regarding disclaimer I would definitely like included. Would it make sense to add it to my standard liability waiver at the bottom or keep it separate? I just want to be professional and of course not come across paranoid, but cautious too. What do you think about me suggesting they contact a professional baby proofer??? Thanks so much for your continued expertise!! Laura
  • Cynthia MurrayCynthia Murray Enrolled Posts: 1,070
    One thing you could do is mail it to them and tell them to be sure to sign them before you arrive (if they won't be there when you start). If you email a client and ask them to print forms out, sign, then mail off, it won't happen bc they're being asked too much.

Docusign is a great program we use when we send out agreements for our POA webinars (not sure of the cost off hand), but something where they can electronically sign a document would be great, easy, and paperless.

I would keep it a separate document because it's very specific. You can ask the client (as you send or show them the baby proofing one you create) if they'd like more specifics or to have an actual professional on the subject, you can help redirect them. However, the majority just want good basics taken care of. That's what we did when we had kids. Did some research, took care of outlets and cords and cabinets came later.